The 10 Most Popular Beard Styles for Black Men
Posted by Sam Davis on December 17, 2019
Would you let the hair on your head grow in any kind of way, without any particular style or direction? Probably not. The same approach should apply to your beard, once your beard starts growing in, you should start thinking about how exactly you want it to look. That's also why we came up with our best-selling beard bundle for African American men. Black men’s beards can get especially interesting, since there are so many styles that work well with our skin tone and beard hair texture. However, there are a few black men beard styles that are more popular than others, so we’re breaking it down in order to help you find the best one for you.
First, Consider Your Face Shape
Long Face Shape: If your face is already long, avoid choosing a beard style that will make your face appear to be even longer. The best beard styles for black men with long face shapes are The 5 O’Clock Shadow or The Chin Strap. For long faces, the shorter, the better.
Square Face Shape: If your overall chin shape makes your entire face appear to be square, choose a beard style that will soften the angles of your chin and make it appear to be rounder. The best beard styles for black men with square face shapes are The Goatee and The Short Beard. For square faces, the rounder and shorter, the better.
Round Face Shape: If your face is round, choose a beard style that will make your face appear longer. The best beard styles for black men with round faces are The Goatee and The Bald Man Beard. For round faces, the longer, the better.
- Oval Face Shape: If your face has an oval-shape, consider yourself lucky. This is the most versatile face shape because it’s not too long, square, or round. The best beard styles for black men with oval faces are endless, because any beard style will probably look great on them.
Second, Consider Your Beard Growth Pattern
Before you start sending beard pics to your barber, be sure that you’ve allowed enough time for your beard to grow in completely. While no product can override genetics, we’ve created a beardcare kit that delivers some amazing results. In addition, we came up with a list of The Best Beard Growth Tips for Black Men to help you on your journey.
Now, The Nitty Gritty
- The Full Beard is a very popular choice among black men. It goes great with a bald head or a short hairstyle, because it creates contrast. A great barber will be able to cut and shape a full beard to fit almost any face. These beards usually take at least 3 months to fully develop.
- The Five O’ Clock Beard is a longstanding staple for black men, since it gives off those effortless and nonchalant vibes. Ladies love the scruffy look. The key to pulling off this look is making sure the cheek and neck area are cleanly shaven, which draws the eye to the light scruffy beard.
- The Goatee Beard is very popular, especially amongst black men. This beard style is very flexible and a great barber will be able to adapt it in many different ways, since it is only grown on the chin.
- The Short Beard is definitely appealing to black men, mostly because it’s so easy to maintain. Most black men that cannot grow a full beard tend to go for the classic short beard style.
- The Soul Patch Beard is a simple but sophisticated way for black men to add more depth to your beard style. By extending your facial hair from your lower lip to above your chin, you draw attention to your lips while accentuating the rest of your facial hair. This also looks great on black men with bald heads.
- The Chin Strap is another favorite among black men, especially those in the early stages of growth. Since hair tends to grow on the outer areas of the face and then inward, the chin strap is ideal for black men that want to grow their beard in clean, neat phases.
- The Anchor Beard is a pointed beard that traced the jawline, coupled with a mustache. Similar to the soul path, black men can bring attention to their lips and accentuate other facial hair. The key is finding a barber that can successfully help you pull this look off.
- The Barely Shaved Beard is similar to The Five O’Clock beard, but is more suitable for black men who can grow beards quickly.
- The Bald Man Bead is ideal for black men with bald heads. It works at every beard length and at any age, making it a good look for black men that are bald or are balding.
- The Circle Beard is very popular for black men that want a nice and neat appearance. It is a good mid-point between a baby face and a short beard.